Illinois Freedom of Information Act
The Illinois Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) declares that all persons are entitled to full and complete information regarding affairs of government and the official acts and policies of those who represent them as public officials and public employees consistent with the terms of the Act.
A brief description of the Library public body is as follows:
- The Library’s purpose is to provide materials and services for the recreational, social, informational, and educational needs of the community.
- An organizational chart, including the number of staff, is attached, Appendix A
- The total amount of our operating budget is listed at http://bloomingtonlibrary.org/about/library_budget/index.php.
a. Funding sources are property taxes, fees, personal property replacement taxes, state and federal grants, fines, charges, and donations
- The library is located at: 205 East Olive Street, Bloomington, Illinois 61701
- The following organization exercises control over our Policies and Procedures:
a. The Bloomington Public Library Board of Trustees; meets monthly on the third Tuesday of each month at 5:30 p.m. in the Library Board Room located at 205 East Olive Street, Bloomington, Illinois.
The officers are listed at http://bloomingtonlibrary.org/about/bpl_board/index.php
- The following organization operates in an advisory capacity regarding The Library’s operation:
a. RAILS Library System: https://www.railslibraries.info/
- We are required to report and be answerable for our operations to:
Illinois State Library: https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/library/about/home.html
The City Clerk’s Office is the central contact of all FOIA’s for the City of Bloomington, including the Bloomington Public Library.
- FOIA Officer is: City Clerk
Phone: (309) 434-2240
Fax: (309) 434-2628
- FOIA Requests may be submitted: a. In person or mailed to 109 East Olive Street, Bloomington, Illinois 61701
b. Emailed to: email@example.com
c. Faxed to: (309) 434-2628
Requests for information can be made from the FOIA Request for Public Records form (https://www.cityblm.org/home/showdocument?id=238), or at the City Clerk’s office at 109 East Olive Street, Bloomington, Illinois. The office hours are Monday – Friday 8:00AM to 5:00PM. Records may be inspected, copied or provided electronically. If inspected, an employee must be present throughout the inspection.
FOIA Timeline and fees can be accessed at the City of Bloomington’s website: www.cityblm.org/government/departments/city-clerk/foia.
Certain types of information maintained by us are exempt from inspection and copying. However, the following types or categories or records are maintained under our control:
- Ordinances and Resolutions
- Board Policies
- Administrative Procedures
- Monthly Financial Statements
- Annual Receipts and Disbursements Reports
- Budget and Appropriation Ordinances
- Levy Ordinances
- Annual Audits
- Operating Budgets
- Minutes of the Board of Trustees and Committees
- Job Descriptions
- Annual Reports