Free Tax Assistance
Each year, the Library works with AARP Tax-Aide to provide free help with completing tax forms. Volunteers are here on various days in February, March, and April each year. Click here for upcoming dates.
Tax-Aide volunteers assist everyone, regardless of income levels, age, family size, or other criteria, from 9:15am-1pm on each of the scheduled dates. Note that the last return each day is started no later than 12:15pm. Help is provided first-come-first-served.
To make an appointment with AARP Tax-Aide
- Go to www.aarp.org/money/taxes/aarp_taxaide.
- Click the “find a location near you” button.
- Click on “Bloomington Public Library,” do a search by zip code--61701--then choose "Bloomington Public Library".
- In the small box that pops up, under “Reserve an Appointment Now” click the red “click here” link in the center of the screen.
- Click the red “click here” button in the center of the screen.
- Select a date to see the available times. To pick your appointment date and time, click it and click on “next.”
- Fill in the form to request an appointment. Click “next.”
- Review the information for accuracy and click “submit.”
- You will receive an email confirming the appointment and giving information about arrival time and what to bring.
Those seeking assistance should bring their W-2, social security card, social security statement, and tax information to the Community Room. A social security card or statement is required for everyone whose name appears on the tax return.
To Receive Tax Forms
The best, cheapest and easiest method to receive paper copies of tax forms and instructions is to call the IRS and have them mailed directly to your home. The number is 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676).
If you need to print your tax forms at the library, the Adult Services department has Internet computers available on a walk up/first-come, first-served basis. Printing costs 15 cents per page.
Federal Tax Forms & Instructions
- U.S. Internal Revenue Service
The local IRS office is at 301 South Prospect Road, Bloomington. Their phone number is (309)661-0032.
IRS Tax Help Line for Individuals is 1(800)-829-1040.
Illinois State Tax Forms & Instructions
Forms & Instructions for Other States