- Volunteer Opportunities
Position Title: Library Associate, temporary part-time, Marketing
Date posted: February 22, 2017
The Library's Marketing Department is looking for an energetic individual who possesses superb design skills, a penchant for accuracy, and strong interpersonal capabilities.
The person hired for this position will work with the Summer Reading Program Committee members to coordinate, create, and assemble decorations for the library's Summer Reading Program. This year's theme is "Reading by Design."
The right person for this job will be able to effectively communicate in person, over the phone, and via email.
Apply for this position if you are energetic, talented in design, willing to work diligently, and love the idea of promoting Bloomington Public Library because you respect what libraries do as institutions for the communities they serve.
- Coordinate, create, and assemble decorations based on the "Reading by Design" theme
- Design panel artwork, banners, end cap artwork, window décor, hanging foamboard, marquee, bulletin boards, etc.
- Help install decorations (this may require climbing a ladder)
- Utilize Outlook email and SharePoint
- Other duties as assigned
- Must have expertise using InDesign and Photoshop
- Strong verbal and written communication, active listening, organization, planning, and interpersonal skills
- Must be able to use a poster printer, photocopier, and various cutters/blades
- Must be able to work independently
- Must be detail-oriented and demonstrate a high level of accuracy in work
- This job requires a desire to promote the library to the public, via print materials and displays
Hours: 15 per week, beginning around April 3 and ending around May 26. Although afternoon availability is preferred, a mutually agreed upon schedule may include mornings, afternoons, some evenings, and some weekends.
Education: Position requires a Bachelor's degree in graphic design or a related field.
Salary: $15.98 per hour
Closing: March 5, 2017
To Apply: Submit a completed job application resume, transcript, three professional references, and a design portfolio (digital acceptable) of no more than 10 items to:
Gayle Tucker, HR Manager
Bloomington Public Library
205 E. Olive St.
Bloomington, IL 61701
At least 3 personally designed art samples will be required at the interview (no digital files).
Bloomington Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Open Volunteer Position
Position Title: Volunteer
Department: Book Shoppe
Your public library needs you!! Business is great and we want to make you a partner in the excitement. We are looking for detail-oriented, friendly individuals to volunteer in our used Book Shoppe. If you want retail experience, you can help price and re-stock our shelves once or twice a week; if you want a little more physical activity, we need help sorting and collecting books on our monthly Saturday Donation Days. If you love action and people, we have a "job" for you!
- Accuracy is the key to successfully completing the responsibilities of this opportunity—great attention to detail is necessary for performing these duties accurately
- Ability to follow written and verbal directions, learn assigned tasks, and adhere to prescribed routines
- Ability to provide friendly, quality service to both internal and external customers
- Ability to clearly communicate in the English language
- Have access to and user knowledge of an active email account
- Ability to transport books and other materials
- Ability to bend, kneel, stretch, lift, and push up to 50 pounds
If you are ready to help out, email
Open Volunteer Position
Position Title: Movie Host
Department: Adult Services
Are you a movie buff looking for a volunteer opportunity? If that's the case, Movie Host might just be the volunteer opportunity you've been seeking.
Duties of the Movie Host include:
- Host movie showings at the library
- Pop and bag popcorn and wipe down the popcorn machine after use
- Greet movie watchers
- Report any problems to staff
- Count the number of customers in attendance
- Report the attendance number to Adult Services Desk staff
- Other duties and special projects as assigned
- Volunteer must be 18 years of age or older
If you are interested in this volunteer opportunity, please email