- Volunteer Opportunities
Position Title: temporary summer Library Assistant, teenZone
Date posted: April 11, 2017
Teens have a special place at the Bloomington Library: teenZone. This room contains the teen book collection, video games, gaming computers, laptops, and more. We are looking for an energetic person who loves working with teens and with customers of all other ages. Providing excellent customer service is a goal for every staff person at the library.
This summer-only position works in teenZone from 12:00 pm – 3:00 pm each weekday. A few evening or weekend shifts may be included, as needed. Customers of all ages use the books. Teens are encouraged to hang out in the room, using computers, playing games, making crafts, and meeting up with other teens.
Effective communication with customers (in person, over the phone, and via email), including listening, speaking, and comprehension, is necessary.
- Staff teenZone and provide top quality, customer-focused interactions with customers of all ages
- Utilize the library's computerized catalog and other electronic resources & databases
- Accurately keep track of gaming equipment and ID used to check these out
- Maintain a fun, yet safe atmosphere for all within the room
- Accurately shelve returned teen materials
- Friendly, helpful, knowledgeable, positive attitude, proactive
- Ability to manage the various job duties simultaneously
- Ability to consistently work the established schedule
- Ability to bend, stoop, and lift
Hours: 15 per week, 12:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m., with other shifts possible during staff shortages. These could include evenings and weekends.
Education: Position requires a High School Diploma or equivalent.
Salary: $11.07 per hour
Closing: April 23, 2017
To Apply: Fill out the job application and send with a resume to:
Gayle Tucker, HR Manager
Bloomington Public Library
205 E. Olive St.
Bloomington, IL 61701
Bloomington Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Open Volunteer Position
Position Title: Volunteer
Department: Book Shoppe
Your public library needs you!! Business is great and we want to make you a partner in the excitement. We are looking for detail-oriented, friendly individuals to volunteer in our used Book Shoppe. If you want retail experience, you can help price and re-stock our shelves once or twice a week; if you want a little more physical activity, we need help sorting and collecting books on our monthly Saturday Donation Days. If you love action and people, we have a "job" for you!
- Accuracy is the key to successfully completing the responsibilities of this opportunity—great attention to detail is necessary for performing these duties accurately
- Ability to follow written and verbal directions, learn assigned tasks, and adhere to prescribed routines
- Ability to provide friendly, quality service to both internal and external customers
- Ability to clearly communicate in the English language
- Have access to and user knowledge of an active email account
- Ability to transport books and other materials
- Ability to bend, kneel, stretch, lift, and push up to 50 pounds
If you are ready to help out, email
Open Volunteer Position
Position Title: Movie Host
Department: Adult Services
Are you a movie buff looking for a volunteer opportunity? If that's the case, Movie Host might just be the volunteer opportunity you've been seeking.
Duties of the Movie Host include:
- Host movie showings at the library
- Pop and bag popcorn and wipe down the popcorn machine after use
- Greet movie watchers
- Report any problems to staff
- Count the number of customers in attendance
- Report the attendance number to Adult Services Desk staff
- Other duties and special projects as assigned
- Volunteer must be 18 years of age or older
If you are interested in this volunteer opportunity, please email